We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Senior Accountant to join the COUR Finance Team. COUR is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company located in Skokie, Illinois with the goal of developing first-in-class innovative therapeutic products designed to reprogram the immune system to treat autoimmune disorders from pre-clinical development through FDA approval and commercialization.
The position of Senior Accountant covers a broad range of responsibilities. In addition to general accounting operations, it requires initiative and a willingness to help in related areas including cash management, lease financing, financial audit coordination, collaboration with external tax accountants, general process improvement, etc. This position will work closely with both the VP of Finance/Controller and the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis to conduct the financial activities of the company.
The most significant demand on the Senior Accountant’s time will be the oversight of Cour’s corporate accounting functions. This includes the regular preparation of financial statements, management of month-end close activities, account reconciliations and assisting with accounts payable activities. The position should be prepared to work both independently and with finance counterparts to identify improvements to our financial operations. These may include changes to our accounts payable and receivable activities, investigation of new financial software, and continued development of strong internal controls.
- Manage month-end closing activities, accruals, and review of general ledger activity
- Prepare balance sheet account reconciliations as needed; investigate and resolve variances
- Prepare month-end/quarter-end/year-end financial statements
- Assist with Accounts Payable functions including:
- Invoice review for appropriate classification;
- Oversee the use of corporate credit cards and travel and entertainment functions; and
- Prepare annual 1099 filings
- Manage and maintain the quality, timeliness, and integrity of accounting data
- Research technical accounting and reporting (GAAP) matters and stay current regarding pending changes
- Coordinate planned annual financial audits
- Assist with federal and state tax filing activities with Cour’s outside accountants
- Prepare monthly sales and use tax filings
- Maintain schedules for fixed assets, leases, prepaid expenses, etc.
- Maintain and develop strong internal controls and written procedures for accounting and finance functions
- Assess and redesign corporate accounting processes and software, as needed
- Be able to work collaboratively in a dynamic, growing and fast-paced work environment
- Demonstrate strong research and analytical skills
- Demonstrate effective written and verbal communication skills
- Display and continue to expand a working knowledge of GAAP
- Ability to adapt quickly and learn new concepts
- Demonstrate initiative and be a self-starter
- Manage competing priorities while remaining highly organized and detail-oriented
- Be proficient in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with Quickbooks Online and/or NetSuite preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- CPA or CPA track preferred
- 2+ years accounting/audit experience with top-tier public firm
If you describe yourself as an enthusiastic, highly motivated team player who wants to grow with us, we encourage you to apply! Please send your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
COUR is a rapidly growing biotech company in the Chicagoland area that develops therapeutic products based on our deep knowledge of immunology and material science. Our team combines the skills and experience of biologists, material scientists, chemists, and engineers. COUR is expanding its laboratory and manufacturing capabilities at the Illinois Science + Technology Park, located at 8045 North Lamon Avenue in Skokie, Illinois. COUR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.